Banner image


Will Carpenter


Posted Monday, November 19th 2018

As it happened: Bristol Bears 29-31 Exeter Chiefs

A controversial 83rd-minute penalty try saw Exeter Chiefs snatch a dramatic bonus-point victory over Bristol Bears at Ashton Gate on Sunday.

Pat Lam’s side led 29-24 with the clock in the red, but after the Exeter Chiefs driving lineout had rumbled towards the hosts’ line, referee Greg Macdonald went under the posts to award the match-winning score and break Bristol hearts in the dying seconds.

Relive all of the action as we dissect the key moments, as it happened, from Sunday's clash.

Sheedy opens the scoring.
Lawday bundles over.
Piutau celebrates debut try.
Morahan dives over in the corner.
Last-gasp devastation.

4 minsPEN3-0 – Sheedy opens the scoring with a simple penalty following strong work from Hurrell and Luatua in the build-up. It's a strong start from the home side in front of nearly 17,000 supporters at Ashton Gate. 

8 minsTRY3-7 – Prop Moray Low bundles over from close range for the first try of the afternoon after a powerful break from Lawday inside the Bristol 22. Steenson converts.

15 minsPEN6-7 – Sheedy lands his second penalty of the afternoon after powerful bust from the impressive Hurrell in midfield. 

17 mins – Sheedy’s cross-field kick just evades Morahan on right-hand side, as Bristol apply the pressure in Chiefs territory.

19 minsPEN9-7 - High tackle on Sheedy as the fly-half attacks the Chiefs line – and the captain obliges with a well-struck kick to put Bristol into a narrow lead.

25 minsPEN12-7 - Haining gets over the ball and can’t be moved as Chiefs are penalised for holding on. Sheedy lines up and nails a long-range penalty to extend hosts’ lead.

29 minsTRY12-12 – Lawday sneaks out the back of a ruck to touch down, and after a consultation with the TMO, referee Greg Macdonald awards the try.

36 minsTRY19-12 – Charles Piutau catches Chiefs napping from a quickly-taken penalty to power over from close range for a try on his league debut for the club. Sheedy converts.


HT: Bristol Bears 19-12 Exeter Chiefs


46 minsTRY26-12 - Patient play from Bristol in the Chiefs 22 and after half break from Uren, Afoa feeds Morahan in the corner. Sheedy converts from touchline.

53 minsTRY26-19 – Stunning finish from Cordero, who steps off his right foot to touch down after period of Chiefs pressure. Visitors back in it with half an hour to play. Steenson adds the conversion.

58 minsPEN – Sheedy’s long-range penalty rebounds off the crossbar and O’Conor, following up, is unable to hold the ball for what would have been walk in. Oh so close for the home side. 

70 minsTRY26-24 – Yeandle bundles over from slick Chiefs lineout move, peeling off the front to dive over in the corner. Steenson's conversion is missed but it's a two-point game heading into the closing stages.

75 minsPEN29-24 – Sheedy's fifth penalty of the afternoon edges Bristol further ahead with time ticking away, after the pack turn the screw in the scrum. It's a nail-biter at Ashton Gate.

83 minsTRY29-31 – With the clock in the red, referee Greg Macdonald awards a controversial last-gasp penalty try to gift Exeter the win at Ashton Gate. It's a sickener for Pat Lam's men, who have only a losing bonus-point to show for their efforts.

FT: Bristol Bears 29-31 Exeter Chiefs

The Shop