Banner image


Will Carpenter


Posted Monday, April 1st 2019

Report: Bristol Bears ‘A’ 14-15 Gloucester United

Bristol Bears ‘A’ suffered late heartbreak as Todd Gleave’s last-gasp try snatched a dramatic victory for Gloucester United in Monday night’s Premiership Rugby Shield clash at Clifton RFC.

Bristol had led 14-0 midway through the first-half thanks to two tries in seven minutes from Reiss Cullen and Toby Fricker.

But Gloucester responded before the half was out with Gareth Denman and Louis Rees-Zammit touching down in quick succession to claw the Cherry and Whites back into it.

And Gleave struck the killer blow five minutes from time, applying the finishing touches to a maul in the left-hand corner to seal the points for Gloucester United.

What happened?

Bristol began brightly and raced into a 14-0 lead inside the opening 25 minutes, with Cullen linking well with Matt Welsh to cross under the posts and debutant Fricker latching on to Tiff Eden’s deft kick to grab his first try for the club.

Eden converted both scores as Bristol took charge in the opening stages.

But Gloucester hit back with a double strike of their own, as Denman burrowed over from a driving lineout to get the Cherry and Whites on the board.

Reiss Cullen celebrates his first-half try (JMPUK).

Almost immediately from the kick-off, the visitors were over again, with replacement wing Rees-Zammit hurtling in from all of 70 metres for a fine individual score.

Gloucester took the upper hand in a far more attritional second-half, camping themselves inside Bristol territory for large periods as the sides battled for supremacy.

They eventually got their reward late on, as Gleave powered over at the tail of another driving lineout for the decisive score, and although the conversion was missed, Gloucester held on for a narrow win.

Teams and scorers:

Bristol Bears ‘A’: Chamberlain, Fricker, Welsh, Bedlow (cc), Cullen, Eden, Stirzaker; Jo Lay, Lindsay, Armstrong, Ehizode, Batley, J Capon, Heenan (cc), Lam. Replacements: Kloska, Dawe, Faletau, Hill, Jeffries, Pashley, Ascherl, McNab.

Gloucester United: Dunn, Morgan, Purdy, Reeves, Morris, Coetzer, Chapman; Traynor, Walker, Denman, Savage, Butler, Ludlow (c), Hinkley, Evans. Replacements: Gleave, McAllister, Seville, Safe, Mullis, Fenley, Stanton, Rees-Zammit.

Bristol Bears A: Tries: Cullen 17, Fricker 25. Cons: Eden 17, 25

Gloucester United: Tries: Denman 35, Rees-Zammit 37, Gleave 74