Banner image

Report: Bristol Romp To Brickfields Win

Bristol Rugby coasted to a convincing 65-7 victory over Plymouth Albion at Brickfields.

Olly Robinson scored four tries on Saturday as the visitors recorded a bonus point win to remain top of the Greene King IPA Championship.

The visitors scored ten in total as Matthew Morgan, Ross McMillan, Dwayne Peel, Nick Koster and Charlie Amesbury also touched down, while referee Craig Maxwell-Keys awarded a penalty try.

Bristol started brightly and went in front inside five minutes when Matthew Morgan slotted an angled penalty goal.

Andy Robinson’s men moved into a 0-10 lead soon after as Ross McMillan rounded off a flowing attack to cross for his first try in the blue and white hoops, converted by Morgan.

After Ian Evans left the field on a stretcher following a collision with teammate McMillan, replacement lock Glen Townson came within inches of crossing.

However, Bristol breached the Plymouth line moments later as Olly Robinson dabbed down for his fourteenth try in as many games.

The visitors stretched the advantage to 0-22 when Matthew Morgan showed lightning footwork to waltz over from thirty metres to touch down for a stunning solo score.

The bonus point was sealed five minutes before the interval as Olly Robinson burrowed over from the back of a driving lineout for his second of the afternoon.

McMillan was held up over the line, before referee Craig Maxwell-Keys awarded Bristol a penalty try on the stroke of half-time following a powerful scrum.

The second half continued in a similar fashion as the first when skipper Dwayne Peel marked a lively performance with a try, collecting his own grubber ahead to dot down for an unconverted score.

Soon after, Olly Robinson completed his hat-trick in style, scooping up Peel’s flat pass to canter in under the sticks. Morgan’s conversion put Bristol 0-48 up before the hour mark.

Plymouth responded with Eoghan Grace’s short-range converted effort, but any faint hopes of a comeback were short-lived as Nick Koster latched onto an inside-pass to cross for Bristol’s eighth try.

In a memorable afternoon for the flanker, Olly Robinson grabbed a fourth try to bring up the sixty-point mark, while Charlie Amesbury crossed late on to complete the rout.

Plymouth Albion:

Jack Arnott; Mark Kohler, Ben Woods, Marc Koteczky, Jake Henry; Declan Cusack (c), Cameron Setter; Tom Fidler, Ted Stagg, Andy Tiedemann, Neale Patrick, Tom Hicks, Rhys Oakley, Eoghan Grace, Ali Bone.

Replacements: James Penman (for Ted Stagg, 54 mins), Dan Pullinger (for Andrew Tiedemann, 68 mins), Tom Harrison (for Tom Fidler, 40 mins), Tom Jubb (for Tom Hicks, 65 mins), Iain Grieve (for Ali Bone, 45 mins), Josh Davies (for Cameron Setter, 45 mins), Lawrence Rayner (for Jack Arnott, 77 mins).

Bristol Rugby:

Jack Wallace; Charlie Amesbury, Gareth Maule, Ben Mosses, David Lemi; Matthew Morgan, Dwayne Peel (c); Jack O’Connell, Ross McMillan, Gaston Cortes, Ben Glynn, Ian Evans, Nick Koster, Olly Robinson, Ryan Jones.

Replacements: James Stephenson (for Ross McMillan, 54 mins), Anthony Perenise (for Gaston Cortes, 61 mins), Ellis Genge (for Jack O’Connell, 50 mins), Glen Townson (for Ian Evans, 7 mins), Tom Kessell (for Dwayne Peel, 66 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Jack Wallace, 70 mins), Jack Tovey (for David Lemi, 62 mins).

Referee: Craig Maxwell-Keys
Attendance: 1,985