Banner image

Report: Bristol Rugby 23-29 Bedford Blues

Match Report

Sunday, September 6th 2015

The Championship

Bristol Rugby 23 - 29 Bedford Blues*

HT 6-22

Cliff, Mosses Tries Sharp, Adamson, Perkins (2)
Jarvis, Henson Conversions Sharp (3)
Jarvis (2), Henson Penalties


Att: 6063

Venue: Ashton Gate

Ref: Thomas Foley


Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Jack James O'Connell
  • 2 Geraint Marc Jones
  • 3 James Stephen Hall
  • 4 James Montague Phillips
  • 5 Benjamin Edward Glynn
  • 6 Ralph Nicholas Koster
  • 7 Oliver James Robinson
  • 8 Mitchell William Eadie
  • 9 William Peter Samuel Cliff
  • 10 Adrian Thomas Jarvis
  • 11 Charles Ashley Amesbury
  • 12 Ben Charles G. Mosses
  • 13 Jack Terence Tovey
  • 14 Thomas William Varndell
  • 15 Jack Edward Wallace


  • 16 Christopher Leslie Brooker
  • 17 Jamal Michael Ford-Robinson
  • 18 Rodrigo Gaston Cortes
  • 19 Glen Christian Townson
  • 20 Joseph John Joyce
  • 21 Craig J. Hampson
  • 22 Gavin Lloyd Henson

Bedford Blues

  • 1 Camilo E. Parilli-Ocampo
  • 2 Charles William Bernard Clare
  • 3 James John Currie
  • 4 Mike Howard
  • 5 Mark A. Flanagan
  • 6 Justin Blanchet-Dufresne
  • 7 Joshua Richard Buggea
  • 8 Hayden David Thompson-Stringer
  • 9 Peter White
  • 10 Jake Andrew T. Sharp
  • 11 Dean Nicholas Adamson
  • 12 Michael D. le Bourgeois
  • 13 Henry Matthew Staff
  • 14 George Daniel Perkins
  • 15 Steffan Wynne Jones


  • 16 Ben Wilkinson
  • 17 Jack Joseph Culverhouse
  • 18 Paul Edney Tupai
  • 19 Nicholas Sean Fenton-Wells
  • 20 Jordan Samuel Burns
  • 21 Myles A. Dorrian
  • 22 Piers M. O'Conor

Bristol Rugby made a losing start to the Championship season as Bedford Blues inflicted a 29-23 defeat at Ashton Gate.

Andy Robinson’s men trailed 29-6 midway through the second half, before Will Cliff and Ben Mosses crossed but it wasn’t enough to prevent defeat.

From the kick off, Bristol launched an immediate offensive and Henry Staff was sin-binned for committing a professional foul.

Jarvis stroked over the three points in front of the posts, but Jake Sharp leveled proceedings with a mammoth drop goal on the ten-minute mark.

Fourteen man Bedford went ahead with the first try of the afternoon as George Perkins collected his kick ahead to fly over the whitewash and silence the home crowd.

After James Phillips had punched a hole in the Blues defence, Adrian Jarvis landed another three pointer to reduce the deficit to 6-10.

Soon after, George Perkins capitalized on Henry Staff’s fine solo break to dab down for his second try, which Jake Sharp converted with aplomb.

Mitch Eadie and Olly Robinson went close in quick succession, but Bedford crossed again on the stroke of the interval as Jake Sharp raced in from seventy metres after intercepting a stray pass.

And the Blues grabbed the bonus point just ten minutes into the second half when Dean Adamson scooped up a loose ball to scamper up the touchline and go in under the posts to extend Bedford’s advantage to 6-29.

Bristol finally sparked into life when Will Cliff latched onto Jack Tovey’s offload to dab down for a converted try from close-range. After Nick Koster had a try chalked off for an adjudged forward pass in the build up, Ben Mosses waltzed over to reduce the arrears to 20-29.

Myles Dorrian and Gavin Henson both missed penalty goal attempts, before the Welshmen landed a three pointer to secure a losing bonus point.

Bristol came close to forcing a try in the dying stages, but Bedford held firm to condemn Robinson’s men to defeat.

Man of the Match: James Phillips