Banner image

Report: Bristol Rugby 29-28 Yorkshire Carnegie

An incredible 18-point comeback sees Bristol Rugby maintain their 100 per cent record this season.

Trailing 28-10 with seven minutes remaining, Marco Mama and David Lemi touched down, before Mitch Eadie’s converted try deep into stoppage time moved the hosts back to the top of the Greene King IPA Championship.

Bristol scored five tries in total as Mama and Eadie grabbed braces, while Matthew Morgan’s cool conversion sent the home crowd into raptures.

Harry Leonard saw an early penalty goal attempt sail wide of the upright during the fractious opening exchanges.

Yorkshire took the lead before the half hour mark when Jonah Holmes caught the home defence napping, beating three defenders to touch down for a fine solo try.

Bristol responded with a period of attacking pressure, but despite Traynor going close, couldn’t find a way through the stubborn wall of blue Carnegie shirts.

Gareth Maule thought he had touched down late in the first half, but referee Tim Wigglesworth spotted an adjudged knock on and recalled play.

With Yorkshire on the backfoot, Marco Mama’s close-range score put points on the board and reduced the deficit at the interval to 5-7.

But Jack Walker silenced the home faithful when the Carnegie skipper rounded off a well-worked lineout to fly over in the corner soon after the restart.

Bristol kept in touch at 10-14 when the impressive Mitch Eadie burrowed his way over the whitewash for an unconverted score midway through the second period.

Yorkshire Carnegie stunned Andy Robinson’s side with two tries in the space of ten minutes. First, Jarad Williams collected an inside ball to coast over, before Jon Clarke crossed from a counter-attack to put the visitors eighteen points ahead at 10-28.

Harry Leonard skewed a penalty goal opportunity wide, before Bristol posted a third try of the afternoon.

It was Marco Mama who dotted down for his second try, while Morgan slotted the conversion to give Bristol a glimmer of hope with five minutes left on the clock.

In a stunning finale at Ashton Gate, David Lemi crossed for his fiftieth competitive try in blue and white hoops, before Chris Jones was sin-binned, reducing Carnegie to fourteen men.

With time up on the clock, man of the match Mitch Eadie grabbed a second from the driving lineout, before Matthew Morgan’s angled conversion snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

Bristol Rugby:

Auguy Slowik; Tommaso Benvenuti, Gareth Maule, Ben Mosses, David Lemi (c); Matthew Morgan, Craig Hampson; Kyle Traynor, Rhys Lawrence, Anthony Perenise, Ian Evans, Ben Glynn, Marco Mama, Olly Robinson, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Chris Brooker (for Rhys Lawrence, 59 mins), James Hall (for Kyle Traynor, 59 mins), Mark Sorenson (for Ben Glynn, 59 mins), Nick Koster (for Olly Robinson, 52 mins), Dwayne Peel (for Craig Hampson, 51 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Auguy Slowik, 62 mins), Andy Short (for Tommaso Benvenuti, 76 mins).

Yorkshire Carnegie:

Christian Georgiou; David Doherty, Jon Clarke, Pete Lucock, Jonah Holmes; Harry Leonard, Chris Pilgrim; Ben Harris, Jack Walker (c), James Tideswell, Matt Smith, Chris Jones, Chris Walker, Josh Bainbridge, Jarad Williams.

Replacements: Phil Nilsen (for Jack Walker, 74 mins), Lee Imiolek (for Ben Harris, 66 mins), Paul Hill (for James Tideswell, 40 mins), Jack Ramshaw, Jack Barnard, Matt Dudman, Oli Goss.

Referee: Tim Wigglesworth
Airbus UK Man of the Match: Mitch Eadie
Attendance: 7,291