Banner image

Report: Bristol Rugby 42-17 London Scottish

Bristol Rugby moved to the top of the Greene King IPA Championship with a 42-17 victory in front of over 7,000 supporters at Ashton Gate.

The home side – who remain unbeaten after four successive wins – scored six tries as Auguy Slowik, Marco Mama, Jack Lam and Dwayne Peel all dotted down, while Bristol added two penalty tries.

Auguy Slowik handed Bristol a 7-0 lead inside the opening exchanges when the full back continued his rich vein of try-scoring form, cantering in unopposed after a three man overlap.

And the home side doubled their advantage midway through the first period when referee John Meredith awarded a penalty try following a surge at the scrum.

Miles Mantella halved the deficit when the Exiles winger showed sublime footwork to waltz over from thirty metres, while Peter Lydon converted.

But Bristol added two tries in quick succession to gain a stranglehold on proceedings and seal a bonus point before half-time.

First, Andy Robinson’s men were awarded a second penalty try from the driving lineout, before Matthew Morgan’s half-break put Marco Mama in space and the flanker made no mistake from fifteen metres.

The procession of points continued before the interval as Miles Mantella flew over in the corner for his second of the evening, before Jack Lam muscled his way across the whitewash from close range. Morgan slotted the conversion to move his side to 35-12.

A scrappy second half saw Dwayne Peel touch down for his first try in Bristol colours on the hour mark. The scrum half caught the Exiles’ defence napping to scamper over for a converted score.

London Scottish added a third try when debutant Matt Heeks crossed in the corner to reduce arrears to 42-17.

Bristol closed out the game comfortably to continue their unbeaten start to the campaign.

Bristol Rugby:

Auguy Slowik; Andy Short, Gareth Maule, Ben Mosses, David Lemi; Matthew Morgan, Dwayne Peel (c); Jack O’Connell, Ross Johnston, James Hall, Ben Glynn, Ian Evans, Marco Mama, Jack Lam, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Max Crumpton (for Ross Johnston, 74 mins), Ellis Genge (for Jack O’Connell, 74 mins), Mark Sorenson (for Ben Glynn, 55 mins), Ben Skirving (for Mitch Eadie, 55 mins), Craig Hampson (for Dwayne Peel, 67 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Ben Mosses, 67 mins), Jack Tovey (for Andy Short, 29 mins).

London Scottish:

Peter Lydon; Matt Williams, Mike Doneghan, PJ Gidlow (c), Miles Mantella; Lee Millar, Matt Heeks; Mark Lilley, David Cherry, Max Maidment, Tai Tuisamoa, Gregor Gillanders, Neil Best, Chris Walker, Chevvy Pennycook.

Replacements: James Hallam (for David Cherry, 41 mins), Adam Kwasnicki (for David Cherry, 41 mins), Stewart Maguire (for Mark Lilley, 41 mins), Alex Brown (for Peter Lydon, 61 mins), Mark Bright, Jamie Stevenson (for Errie Claassens, 7 mins), Errie Claassens (for Mike Doneghan, 5 mins).

Referee: John Meredith
Attendance: 7,454
Airbus Man of the Match: Ian Evans