Banner image

Report: Bristol Rugby 45-17 Cornish Pirates

Bristol Rugby secured a bonus point victory over Cornish Pirates on Sunday, scoring seven tries in a 45-17 win at Ashton Gate.

Auguy Slowik grabbed a brace, while Max Crumpton crossed for his first try for the Club. Andy Short, Mitch Eadie and Matthew Morgan also touched down, while referee Darren Gamage awarded a first half penalty try.

Bristol piled on the early pressure and broke the deadlock after former lock Darren Barry saw yellow for persistent infringement.

From the resulting scrum, Cornish Pirates could do little to stem the surge of the pack and referee Darren Gamage awarded a penalty try.

And Max Crumpton doubled Bristol’s lead with a converted score midway through the first period. The hooker dotted down for his first try for the Club after accelerating through a gap in the defence.

Mitch Eadie could have pushed the home side further ahead only to be held up over the whitewash, before Andy Short latched onto Ben Glynn’s smart offload to race in for Bristol’s third of the afternoon.

Cornish Pirates reduced the deficit before the interval when Matt Bolwell crashed over from five metres, while Hallett struck the extras.

Auguy Slowik sealed the bonus point when the full-back collected Mitch Eadie’s long pass to slide over for this third try in two games.

But the visitors refused to buckle and hit back shortly after half-time, courtesy of Kieran Goss’ stunning sixty metre solo effort. Hallett saw his conversion attempt fade short, so the score remained 26-12.

Sparked back into action, Matthew Morgan’s sharp break freed the impressive Ross Rennie midway inside the Pirates’ half. The flanker found Auguy Slowik who finished with aplomb for a converted try.

Slowik came within a whisker of a hat-trick as the onslaught continued, but it wasn’t until fifteen minutes from time that Mitch Eadie capitalized on a blunder in the Cornish defence to canter in under the posts.

Matthew Morgan scored his first try for Bristol late on, although Kyle Moyle had the final say when the Pirates full back darted over for a last-gasp consolation effort.

Bristol Rugby:

Auguy Slowik; Ryan Edwards, Gareth Maule, Ben Mosses, Andy Short; Matthew Morgan, Craig Hampson; James Hall, Max Crumpton, Anthony Perenise, Ben Glynn, Mark Sorenson (c), Marco Mama, Ross Rennie, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Rhys Lawrence (for Max Crumpton, 77 mins), Jack O’Connell (for James Hall, 41 mins), Glen Townson (for Ben Glynn, 69 mins), Ben Skirving (for Mitch Eadie, 74 mins), Luke Baldwin (for Craig Hampson, 67 mins), Adrian Jarvis (for Andy Short, 52 mins), Jack Tovey (for Ben Mosses, 72 mins).

Cornish Pirates:

Kyle Moyle; Kieran Goss, Tom Riley, Rheon James, Luke Jones; Kieran Hallett, Tom Kessell, Jamal Ford-Robinson, Aaron Carpenter, Tyler Gendall, Laurie McGlone, Darren Barry, Chris Morgan (c), Joe Atkinson, Matt Bolwell.

Replacements: Jack Innard (for Aaron Carpenter, 55 mins), Jack Andrew (for Tyler Gendall, 55 mins), Will Carrick Smith (for Laurie McGlone, 27 mins), Todd Lowry (for Matt Bolwell, 62 mins), Bertie Hopkin (for Keiran Hallett, 70 mins), Alex Dancer (for Rheon James, 67 mins), Tom Hendrickson (for Tom Riley, 67 mins).

Referee: Darren Gamage
Attendance: 6,785
Airbus Man of the Match: Mitch Eadie