Banner image

REPORT: Bristol Rugby 7-35 Exeter Chiefs

Match Report

Sunday, February 5th 2017

Anglo Welsh Cup

Bristol Rugby 7 - 35 Exeter Chiefs*

HT 0-14

Ford-Robinson Tries Malton, Slade, Bodilly
Sheedy Conversions Simmonds (5)


Att: 8875

Venue: Ashton Gate

Ref: Ian Davies


Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Jamal Michael Ford-Robinson
  • 2 Geraint Marc Jones
  • 3 James Stephen Hall
  • 4 Joseph John Joyce
  • 5 Ian Richard Evans
  • 6 James Montague Phillips
  • 7 Ralph Nicholas Koster
  • 8 Jordan Stephen Crane
  • 9 Andrew William Uren
  • 10 Callum Michael Sheedy
  • 11 Charles Ashley Amesbury
  • 12 Ben Charles G. Mosses
  • 13 Jack Terence Tovey
  • 14 Jordan Rhys Williams
  • 15 Luke Arscott


  • 16 Max Christopher Crumpton
  • 17 Thomas Rowland
  • 18 Alec Clarey
  • 19 John Peter Hawkins
  • 20 Samuel Phillip Jeffries
  • 21 Martin Roberts
  • 22 James William Newey
  • 23 Siale Vailea Piutau

Exeter Chiefs

  • 1 Carl James Rimmer
  • 2 Shaun Jimmy Malton
  • 3 Gregory S. Holmes
  • 4 Samuel George M. Skinner
  • 5 Damian Welch
  • 6 Benjamin P. White
  • 7 Julian Michael Salvi
  • 8 Samuel David Simmonds
  • 9 Jack Andrew L. Maunder
  • 10 Joe Simmonds
  • 11 Lachlan David Turner
  • 12 Henry James H. Slade
  • 13 Ian W. Whitten
  • 14 Oliver Michael A. Woodburn
  • 15 Max Bryan Bodilly


  • 16 Jack Oliver J. Innard
  • 17 Moray John Low
  • 18 Harry Anthony Hall Williams
  • 19 Oliver H. Atkins
  • 20 Thomas Robert Waldrom
  • 21 Joe Richard I. Snow
  • 22 William John E. Hooley
  • 23 Matthew Steven Jess

Bristol Rugby signed off their Anglo-Welsh Cup campaign with a 35-7 defeat to Exeter Chiefs at Ashton Gate on Sunday afternoon.

Jamal Ford-Robinson touched down a late consolation for Mark Tainton's side, who were outscored five tries to one by a clinical Chiefs outfit. Bristol were forced to play periods of the game with a numerical disadvantage after yellow cards to Marc Jones and James Phillips, while two penalty tries and further scores from Max Bodilly, Shaun Malton and Henry Slade completed a bonus-point win for Exeter.  

What happened?

The game was just five minutes old when Shaun Malton crashed over at the tail of a Chiefs driving maul to give the visitors an early lead, with Simmonds converting.

The hosts’ response was positive, although without reward, as first Sheedy and then Jordan Williams sliced holes in the Exeter midfield – but in both cases, the end product was lacking as the fly half’s attempted pass to the supporting Mosses was cut out by Lachie Turner and Williams lost his footing after stepping his way into a crowd.

There was then a let off for Bristol as Jack Maunder spilt the ball when diving over to score, but a double setback followed as Marc Jones and James Phillips were sent to the sin bin in quick succession to leave the hosts right up against it.

IN THE CLEAR: Callum Sheedy breaks away on his return to first team action (Photo: JMP UK).

It didn’t take long for Chiefs to capatalise and after gaining the upper hand at scrum time, referee Ian Davies scampered under the posts to award a penalty try with Simmonds conversion opening up a 14-0 lead – and only a miraculous covering tackle from replacement Sam Jeffries on Max Bodilly ensured it wouldn’t get worse for Mark Tainton’s side before the break. 

Chiefs did eventually get a third, but had to wait until the 55th minute when Henry Slade intercepted Andy Uren’s flat pass 30 metres from his own line and raced away to score under the posts.

The fourth and bonus point score arrived 15 minutes from time and came courtesy of a dashing break from Olly Woodburn who broke clear and sent Max Bodilly in untouched.

RUMBLE: Jamal Ford-Robinson crashes over for a consolation try (Photo: JMP UK).

That was the winger’s last meaningful contribution of the afternoon as he was sent to the sin-bin minutes later for a ruck infringement – and this time it was Bristol who capatalised on a numerical advantage, with Jamal Ford-Robinson rumbling over in the corner after patient play inside the Chiefs 22.

Academy fly half Sheedy converted from out wide, before a memorable moment for another academy youngster – Bristol Grammar School’s Year 13 pupil, Tom Rowland – who came on for his debut in the closing stages.

There was still time for a fifth Exeter score as the referee once again went under the sticks to award a second penalty try of the afternoon - and Simmonds’ conversion kept his unblemished record from the tee intact and completed a comfortable win for the visitors.

Key moment:

After conceding just once when down to 13 men, Henry Slade's interception try early in the second half, when Bristol were on the front foot, knocked the stuffing out of the hosts and left them with a mountain to climb.   

Photo of the match:

DUMPED: Matt Jess feels the full force of Charlie Amesbury at Ashton Gate (Photo: JMP UK). 

Man of the match: Sam Jeffries

Jeffries came on as a replacement on 22 minutes and the academy forward was industrious and forceful throughout, making a quite remarkable covering tackle on Max Bodilly having sprinted nearly 60 metres from a maul he had been part of. An impressive display from the 23-year-old. 

Social media post of the day:

The teams:

Bristol Rugby: Luke Arscott (Piutau 19); Jordan Williams, Jack Tovey, Ben Mosses, Charlie Amesbury (Newey 63); Callum Sheedy, Andy Uren (Roberts 66); Jamal Ford-Robinson (Rowland 74), Marc Jones (c), James Hall (Clarey 62), Joe Joyce (Jeffries 22), Ian Evans, James Phillips, Nick Koster, Jordan Crane (Hawkins 62).

Replacements: Max Crumpton, Tom Rowland (BGS and Bristol Academy), Alec Clarey, John Hawkins, Sam Jeffries, Martin Roberts, James Newey, Siale Piutau.

Exeter Chiefs: Max Bodilly, Olly Woodburn, Ian Whitten (Hooley 72), Henry Slade (Jess 60), Lachie Turner, Joe Simmonds, Jack Maunder; Carl Rimmer, Shaun Malton, Greg Holmes (Williams 47), Sam Skinner (c), Damian Welch, Ben White (Waldrom 60), Julian Salvi (Atkins 53), Sam Simmonds.

Replacements: Jack Innard, Moray Low, Harry Williams, Ollie Atkins, Thomas Waldrom, Joe Snow, Will Hooley, Matt Jess.