Banner image

REPORT: Doncaster Knights 13-28 Bristol Rugby

Match Report

Wednesday, May 18th 2016

The Championship

Doncaster 13 - 28 Bristol Rugby*

HT 13-11

Hurrell Tries McMillan, Glynn, Lemi
Cusack Conversions Sheedy (2)
Cusack (2) Penalties Sheedy (3)

KO: 7:45PM

Att: 4579

Venue: Castle Park

Ref: Wayne Barnes



  • 1 Richard James List
  • 2 Ben Hunter
  • 3 Colin Quigley
  • 4 Matthew Edward Challinor
  • 5 Jonathan Phelan
  • 6 Latu Maka'afi
  • 7 Michael John Hills
  • 8 Alexander Paul Shaw
  • 9 Michael S. Heaney
  • 10 Declan Cusack
  • 11 Tyson Nyle H. Lewis
  • 12 William Harry Hurrell
  • 13 David Matthew Clark
  • 14 Ratu Andrew K. Bulumakau
  • 15 Paul David P. Jarvis


  • 16 Viliame Veikoso
  • 17 Riccardo Brugnara
  • 18 Willgriff John
  • 19 Oliver John Stedman
  • 20 Glen John Young
  • 21 Douglas W. Flockhart
  • 22 Bradley Lloyd Field

Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Jack James O'Connell
  • 2 Peter Ross McMillan
  • 3 Anthony Isaac Perenise
  • 4 Ian Richard Evans
  • 5 Benjamin Edward Glynn
  • 6 Marco Yanda Nason Mama
  • 7 Jack Tafa Lam
  • 8 James Montague Phillips
  • 9 William Peter Samuel Cliff
  • 10 Callum Michael Sheedy
  • 11 David Lemi
  • 12 Ben Charles G. Mosses
  • 13 Jack Terence Tovey
  • 14 Thomas William Varndell
  • 15 Luke Arscott


  • 16 Christopher Leslie Brooker
  • 17 Kyle Traynor
  • 18 Rodrigo Gaston Cortes
  • 19 Mark Richard Sorenson
  • 20 Oliver James Robinson
  • 21 Martin Roberts
  • 22 Matthew James Morgan

Bristol Rugby will take a fifteen-point lead into the final second leg after beating Doncaster Knights 28-13 on Wednesday.

David Lemi, Ross McMillan and Ben Glynn crossed in a disciplined performance at Castle Park.

Doncaster raced in front courtesy of Declan Cusack’s angled three pointer, only for Callum Sheedy to draw Bristol level from the boot midway through the first period.

It was the home side who scored the opening try of the evening when Will Hurrell powered over for a converted try following a strong set-piece.

Callum Sheedy’s second penalty reduced the deficit to 10-6, before Tom Varndell was yellow carded for an illegal challenge in the air.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, the visitors took the lead for the first time in the encounter as David Lemi spotted a yard of space to slide over the whitewash.

But Doncaster had the final say of the first period as Declan Cusack slotted a penalty goal to put his side 13-11 ahead.

After losing David Lemi to injury, Bristol regained the advantage with a well-worked score from the lineout, finished superbly by Ross McMillan.

The visitors stretched the lead further after another sublime lineout, which created space for Cliff to burst clear, before putting Ben Glynn over the line from close range.

With Bristol in the ascendancy, Callum Sheedy struck another penalty, while Chris Brooker came close after Matthew Morgan’s chip ahead.

Although Andy Robinson’s men laid siege to the Doncaster line in the closing stages, the Knights’ defence held firm to keep the tie alive ahead of the second leg.

Bristol Rugby:

Luke Arscott; Tom Varndell, Jack Tovey, Ben Mosses, David Lemi (c); Callum Sheedy, Will Cliff; Jack O’Connell, Ross McMillan, Anthony Perenise, Ian Evans, Ben Glynn, Marco Mama, Jack Lam, James Phillips.

Replacements: Chris Brooker (for Ross McMillan, 60 mins), Kyle Traynor (for Jack O’Connell, 56 mins), Gaston Cortes (for Anthony Perenise, 56 mins), Mark Sorenson (for Ian Evans, 64 mins), Olly Robinson (for James Phillips, 58 mins), Martin Roberts (for Will Cliff, 71 mins), Matthew Morgan (for David Lemi, 45 mins).

Doncaster Knights:

Paul Jarvis; Andy Bulumakau, Mat Clark, Will Hurrell, Tyson Lewis; Dec Cusack, Michael Heaney; Richard List, Ben Hunter, Colin Quigley, Matt Challinor, Jon Phelan, Latu Makaafi, Michael Hills (c), Alex Shaw

Replacements: Vili Veikoso (for Ben Hunter, 71 mins), Riccardo Brugnara (for Richard List, 65 mins), WillGriff John (for Colin Quigley, 67 mins), Ollie Stedman (for Latu Makaafi, 51 mins), Glen Young (for Jon Phelan, 51 mins), Dougie Flockhart, Brad Field (for Michael Heaney, 68 mins).

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Attendance: 4,759