Banner image

Report: Ealing Trailfinders 21-26 Bristol Rugby

Match Report

Saturday, October 10th 2015

The Championship

Ealing 21 - 26 Bristol Rugby*

HT 10-6

Hannay, Chesters Tries Varndell, Wallace
Roberts Conversions Henson (2)
Roberts (2), Love Penalties Henson (3), Jarvis


Att: 874

Venue: Trailfinders SG (Vallis Way)

Ref: Ian Tempest



  • 1 George Porter
  • 2 Matthew James Thompson
  • 3 Samuel John Rodman
  • 4 Nathan Hannay
  • 5 Llewellyn Sandbrook Jones
  • 6 Harrison J. Orr
  • 7 Arthur Gwilym Ellis
  • 8 Daniel George Kenny
  • 9 Alex Walker
  • 10 Tristan David Roberts
  • 11 Philip Robert Chesters
  • 12 Thomas Keith Wheatcroft
  • 13 Daniel G. Barnes
  • 14 James Albert D. Stephenson
  • 15 James Love


  • 16 James Patrick Kilbane
  • 17 Karl Thomas Gibson
  • 18 Alex Penny
  • 19 Christopher James York
  • 20 Alex Bradley
  • 21 Thomas W. Bliss
  • 22 Callum Andrew Wilson

Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Ellis Genge
  • 2 Peter Ross McMillan
  • 3 Rodrigo Gaston Cortes
  • 4 Benjamin Edward Glynn
  • 5 Mark Richard Sorenson
  • 6 Ralph Nicholas Koster
  • 7 Oliver James Robinson
  • 8 Mitchell William Eadie
  • 9 Craig J. Hampson
  • 10 Gavin Lloyd Henson
  • 11 Charles Ashley Amesbury
  • 12 Nicholas David Carpenter
  • 13 Jack Terence Tovey
  • 14 Thomas William Varndell
  • 15 Jack Edward Wallace


  • 16 Max Christopher Crumpton
  • 17 Jack James O'Connell
  • 18 Jamal Michael Ford-Robinson
  • 19 Glen Christian Townson
  • 20 Rayn Smid
  • 21 William Peter Samuel Cliff
  • 22 Adrian Thomas Jarvis

Bristol Rugby came from behind to overcome Ealing Trailfinders 26-21 on Saturday.

Jack Wallace and Tom Varndell touched down in quick succession during the second period to hand the visitors a fifth straight league win.

Adrian Jarvis’ second half penalty goal made the fly half Bristol’s record points scorer in league history with 709 points.

It was Phil Chesters who broke the deadlock within ten minutes when the winger latched onto a misplaced pass to race in under the posts for the opening score of the afternoon.

Jack Tovey came close to leveling proceedings from close range, but it was Ealing who pushed further ahead through the boot of James Love midway through the first half.

Gavin Henson’s three-pointer put Bristol on the scoreboard and the fly half added another penalty goal to reduce the deficit to 10-6 at the interval.

Andy Robinson’s men should have touched down early in the second period but couldn’t capitalize on an overlap deep in Ealing territory.

Instead, Gavin Henson slotted a third penalty goal to move Bristol to within a single point on the fifty-minute mark.

But Nathan Hannay bundled his way over the whitewash to edge Ealing six points clear, touching down after a spell of Trailfinders pressure.

Spurred into action, Bristol responded with two quickfire tries to turn the game on its head.

First, Jack Wallace raced over following Cliff’s sharp break, before Tom Varndell collected Jack Tovey’s offload to dab down in under the posts to edge Bristol ahead.

Two Tristan Roberts penalties – the second while Gavin Henson was in the sin-bin for an adjudged off-the-ball tackle – kept the home side in touch, before Adrian Jarvis’ penalty goal gave Bristol a 21-26 lead.

Ealing’s James Stephenson had a try chalked off for a forward pass late on as Bristol held out for a narrow victory at Vallis Way.