Banner image


Will Carpenter


Posted Monday, December 17th 2018

Report: Gloucester United 15-30 Bristol Bears ‘A’

Tiff Eden finished with an 18-point haul as Bristol Bears ‘A’ made it back-to-back wins in the Premiership Shield with a 30-15 victory over Gloucester United at Kingsholm.

The fly-half kicked three first-half penalties before converting his own try on the stroke of half-time, as Bristol took a 13-point lead into the break.

Gloucester hit back through Cameron Terry and Alex Morgan, but Ehize Ehizode powered over from close range midway through the second period with Eden again adding the extras.

Academy U18 scrum-half, Blake Boyland came off the bench to seal the game for Bristol late on, with Reiss Cullen’s conversion completing a commanding win.  

What happened?

In a scrappy and error-strewn opening period, Bristol Bears almost struck from the very first kick-off through Leonardo Sarto, but the Italian wing was unable to gather the loose ball with the line at his mercy after his industrious chase had forced an early error in the Gloucester ranks.

Tiff Eden and Charlie Chapman traded penalties, before Eden extended Bristol’s lead with two more successful kicks shortly after the half-hour mark to give the away side some breathing space.

Bristol were rewarded for a positive opening 40 minutes with the very last action of the first-half, as Eden’s kick through arrived back in the arms of the fly-half via the boot of Maliq Holden, and the number ten applied a neat finish before adding the conversion.

Ehize Ehizode in possession during the first-half at Kingsholm (Photos via © Martin Bennett/ Gloucester Rugby).

Bristol were given a let off early in the second-half when Chapman knocked on as he attempted to ground the ball following a smart chip and chase. But Gloucester weren’t to be denied a second time, as Terry bundled over from close range to reduce the deficit.

The visitors hit back just five minutes later when Ehizode showed good strength to twist and turn his way to the line from three metres out, before Gloucester responded again when George Barton’s floated pass found Morgan in the right-hand corner.

But Sean Marsden’s side put the game to bed late on when Boyland started and finished a fine score from his own half with two sniping breaks, the second of which saw him dart over from close range to seal an impressive away win for Bristol.

The teams:

Bristol Bears ‘A’: Daniels; Greig (Bristol Uni), Tovey (co-capt), Holden (Cornish Pirates), Sarto (trialist); Eden, Cullen; Dawe, W Capon, Faletau, Ehizode, Hawkins (cc), Thurston, J Capon, Graham.
Replacements: Kloska, Brabham, English, Court (Keynsham), Ryan (UWE), Boyland (Academy U18s), Baker (Cleve RFC), Hargan (Dings Crusaders).

Gloucester United: 15. Reece Dunn, 14. Alex Morgan, 13. Henry Purdy, 12. Tom Seabrook (capt), 11. Jacob Morris, 10. Dom Coetzer, 9. Charlie Chapman; 1. Paddy McAllister, 2. Joe Mullis, 3. Jack Bartlett; 4. Alex Craig, 5. Shek Sheriff; 6. Lewis Ellis-Jones, 7. Aaron Hinkley, 8. Cameron Terry.
Replacements: 16. Bertie Stretch, 17. Olly Adkins, 18. Kyle Traynor; 19. Tbc, 20. Joe Howard; 21. Ewan Fenley, 22. George Barton, 23. Sam Goatley.

Gloucester United: Tries: Terry 48, Morgan 64. Cons: Chapman 48. Pens: Chapman 19

Bristol Bears ‘A’: Tries: Eden 39, Ehizode 53, Boyland 77. Cons: Eden 39, 53, Cullen 77. Pens: Eden 17, 30, 35