Banner image

REPORT: Harlequins 21 - 19 Bristol Rugby

Match Report

Saturday, September 3rd 2016

Aviva Premiership Rugby

Harlequins 21 - 19 Bristol Rugby*

HT 15-14

Marchant, Yarde Tries Pisi, Varndell, Edwards
Evans Conversions Henson (2)
Evans (3) Penalties

KO: 4:30PM

Att: 47029

Venue: Twickenham Stadium

Ref: Luke Pearce



  • 1 Joseph William G. Marler
  • 2 Robert F. Buchanan
  • 3 Kyle Norval Jonathan Sean Sinckler
  • 4 Samuel James Twomey
  • 5 James Edward Horwill
  • 6 Christopher Denis C. Robshaw
  • 7 Luke Peter Wallace
  • 8 Jack A. Clifford
  • 9 Daniel Stuart Care
  • 10 Nicholas John Evans
  • 11 Tim Jan Willem Visser
  • 12 Jamie Huw Roberts
  • 13 Joseph Marchant
  • 14 Marland Xiphus Germain Yarde
  • 15 Ross James Chisholm


  • 16 David Patrick Ward
  • 17 Owen Anthony Lloyd Evans
  • 18 William St Lawrence W. Collier
  • 19 George Richard Merrick
  • 20 Mathew Henry Luamanu
  • 21 Karl Steven Dickson
  • 22 Ruaridh James Howard Jackson
  • 23 Saofai Alofa Alofa

Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Soane Longopoa Tonga'uiha
  • 2 Peter Ross McMillan
  • 3 Rodrigo Gaston Cortes
  • 4 James Montague Phillips
  • 5 Benjamin Edward Glynn
  • 6 Jonathan Alexander T. Fisher
  • 7 Jack Tafa Lam
  • 8 Jordan Stephen Crane
  • 9 William Peter Samuel Cliff
  • 10 Tusiata Pisi
  • 11 Thomas William Varndell
  • 12 Gavin Lloyd Henson
  • 13 William Harry Hurrell
  • 14 Ryan Luke Edwards
  • 15 Jack Edward Wallace


  • 16 Christopher Leslie Brooker
  • 17 Kyle Traynor
  • 18 Anthony Isaac Perenise
  • 19 Joseph John Joyce
  • 20 Oliver James Robinson
  • 21 Mitchell William Eadie
  • 22 Rhodri Williams
  • 23 Ben Charles G. Mosses

A spirited display saw Bristol earn a losing bonus-point on their return to the Aviva Premiership, going down 21-19 to Harlequins at Twickenham.

Tries from Tom Varndell, Tusi Pisi and Ryan Edwards saw Bristol outscore the hosts by three tries to two, with Marland Yarde and Joe Marchant crossing for Quins and Nick Evans kicking 11 points. Gavin Henson kicked two conversions for Bristol.

In driving rain, Quins enjoyed the lion’s share of a scrappy opening quarter but were twice denied by Bristol captain Jack Lam, who earned a penalty at the breakdown, before dislodging the ball from Kyle Sinckler’s grasp just seven metres short.

The next 20 minutes though, was all Bristol, as Will Hurrell set the tone with two bulldozing runs – before fly-half Tusi Pisi broke free and fed Ryan Edwards, who was hauled down short.

Bristol’s first points on their top-flight return came courtesy of a man with 85 Premiership tries to his name already, as Tom Varndell intercepted Danny Care’s wide pass to cruise in under the posts.

Henson converted and soon after, Nick Evans got Quins on the board with a penalty.

But it wasn’t long before Henson was called back into the action, adding the extras from under the posts after Pisi had scythed his way through the Quins midfield to slide in for a fine individual score.

It was to be Henson’s final contribution of the afternoon, as he left the field with an injury to be replaced by Ben Mosses – and on 38 minutes, Quins registered their first try of the season, with Marland Yarde the beneficiary of a driving maul.

Minutes later, the hosts crossed for their second courtesy of Joe Marchant, who latched on to Yarde’s pass before sliding under the posts – Evans’ conversion ensured they would take a 15-14 lead into the half-time break.

But early in the second-half, Ryan Edwards’ persistence was rewarded when he took advantage of loose ball to dab down in the corner and put Bristol into a 19-15 lead.

On 58 minutes, a Nick Evans penalty reduced the deficit to a single point – and the fly-half’s third of the afternoon edged Quins into a two-point lead they would not relinquish.

With 13 minutes remaining, Varndell almost latched on to Pisi’s grubber in the left-hand corner – and with the Bristol fans in fine voice at Rugby HQ, Olly Robinson’s charge down could have resulted in a fourth try, only for Chisholm to touch down in goal.

Late on, Ruaridh Jackson’s penalty drifted wide of the posts and despite a late rally, Bristol were forced to settle for a losing bonus-point as time ticked away.


Bristol Rugby: Jack Wallace, Ryan Edwards, Will Hurrell, Gavin Henson (Mosses 29), Tom Varndell, Tusi Pisi, Will Cliff (Williams 64); Soane Tonga’uiha (Traynor 62), Ross McMillan (Brooker 59), Gaston Cortes, James Phillips (Joyce 56), Ben Glynn, Jon Fisher (Eadie 61), Jack Lam (c), Jordan Crane (Robinson 66).

Replacements: Chris Brooker, Kyle Traynor, Anthony Perenise, Joe Joyce, Olly Robinson, Mitch Eadie, Rhodri Williams, Ben Mosses.

Harlequins: Ross Chisholm, Marland Yarde, Joe Marchant, Jamie Roberts, Tim Visser (Alofa Alofa 67), Nick Evans (Jackson 73), Danny Care (c); Joe Marler, Rob Buchanan (Ward 56), Kyle Sinckler (Collier 56), Sam Twomey (Merrick 59), James Horwill, Chris Robshaw, Luke Wallace, Jack Clifford (Luamanu).

Replacements: Dave Ward, Owen Evans, Will Collier, George Merrick, Mat Luamanu, Karl Dickson, Ruaridh Jackson, Alofa Alofa.

Referee: Luke Pearce

Attendance: 47,092 


Latest News



Posted: Friday, August 12th 2022

Gallery: Bears Launch 22/23 Home Shirt

Gallery: Bears Launch 22/23 Home Shirt

Posted: Friday, August 12th 2022

Matchday mascot for Bath season opener

Matchday mascot for Bath season opener

Posted: Friday, August 12th 2022

Bristol Bears Launch Project Whitebeam

Bristol Bears Launch Project Whitebeam

Posted: Thursday, August 11th 2022