Banner image

REPORT: Ospreys 20-14 Bristol Rugby

Match Report

Saturday, January 28th 2017

Anglo Welsh Cup

Ospreys 20 - 14 Bristol Rugby*

HT 10-14

Underhill, Howells Tries Crumpton, Jones
Price (2) Conversions Searle (2)
Price (2) Penalties


Att: 3352

Venue: Brewery Field

Ref: Rhys Thomas



  • 1 Gareth Thomas
  • 2 Scott James Otten
  • 3 Rhodri Powell Jones
  • 4 James Charles Scott Ratti
  • 5 Adam James Beard
  • 6 Joe Bearman
  • 7 Samuel Gregory Underhill
  • 8 Robert John McCusker
  • 9 Rhys Webb
  • 10 Luke James Price
  • 11 Benjamin John John
  • 12 Jonathan Philip Spratt
  • 13 Joseph Royce Dewi Thomas
  • 14 Jay Baker
  • 15 Dafydd Wyn Howells


  • 16 Guto Ifan Phillips
  • 17 Rowan Jenkins
  • 18 Daniel John Suter
  • 19 Tyler James Ardron
  • 20 William Jones
  • 21 Matthew Rhys Aubrey
  • 22 John Philip Jones
  • 23 Thomas Richard O'Flaherty

Bristol Rugby

  • 1 Jack James O'Connell
  • 2 Max Christopher Crumpton
  • 3 Rodrigo Gaston Cortes
  • 4 Daniel Mark Tuohy
  • 5 Benjamin Edward Glynn
  • 6 Nicholas Sean Fenton-Wells
  • 7 Jack Tafa Lam
  • 8 Mitchell William Eadie
  • 9 Albert Samuel Mathewson
  • 10 Billy George Searle
  • 11 Thomas William Varndell
  • 12 Tusiata Pisi
  • 13 William Harry Hurrell
  • 14 David Lemi
  • 15 Jack Edward Wallace


  • 16 Geraint Marc Jones
  • 17 Jamal Michael Ford-Robinson
  • 18 James Stephen Hall
  • 19 Mark Richard Sorenson
  • 20 Giorgi Nemsadze
  • 21 Rhodri Williams
  • 22 Thretton Davis Palamo
  • 23 Jack Terence Tovey

A late Sam Underhill try condemned Bristol Rugby to a 20-14 defeat to Ospreys in a scrappy Anglo-Welsh Cup clash at Brewery Field on Saturday.

Marc Jones' 74th minute converted try had given the visitors a 14-13 lead in the closing stages, after Max Crumpton's first half try had wiped out Dafydd Howells' early score. But Underhill's 76th minute effort, as well as ten points from the boot of Luke Price, snatched victory for the hosts and dumped Mark Tainton's side out of the competition.  

What happened?

Roared on by a buoyant home crowd, Ospreys stunned Bristol inside 53 seconds as Dafydd Howells scythed through the midfield to touch down after strong work from Ben John and Sam Underhill in the build-up.

Price converted and added a penalty shortly after as Ospreys built a 10-0 lead at Brewery Field.

After a sluggish opening 20 minutes, Mark Tainton’s men finally stirred from their slumber to hit back through hooker Max Crumpton, who barged over from close range after a maul, seven metres from the Ospreys line, had made good ground. Searle’s conversion reduced the deficit to three points.

CELEBRATIONS: Max Crumpton is congratulated on his first half try by Billy Searle (Photo: JMP UK).

In a half of few highlights, Alby Mathewson’s sharp thinking almost led to a second Bristol try, taking a quick-tap penalty and feeding Wallace who was bundled into touch on the five metre line. David Lemi then had a try chalked off after picking through the centre of a ruck and pacing in, while with the final play of the first period, Searle saw his long-range penalty fall short and wide to bring a forgettable 40 minutes to a close with the visitors trailing 10-7.

The game’s scrappy theme continued into the opening stages of the second half, but Bristol were given a boost just three minutes in when Ben John was sent to the sin-bin.

The visitors though, were unable to take advantage and struggled to break down a resolute Ospreys defence, while at the other end, Price extended the home side’s lead with his second penalty of the afternoon on 59 minutes.

DEBUTANT: Alby Mathewson in action during his first outing in a Bristol shirt (Photo: JMP UK). 

Bristol rang the changes and replacement Thretton Palamo’s powerful surge from a five-metre scrum was held up over the whitewash. Referee Adam Jones brought play back for a penalty and from the resulting lineout Bristol went over their second try – identical to the first – with Marc Jones burrowing over at the back of a maul.

Searle’s conversion put Bristol into the lead for the first time in the game – but it didn’t last long, as Underhill shook off two tackles to touch down four minutes from time and complete a hard-fought win for Ospreys.

Key moment:

After Marc Jones' late try and Billy Searle's excellent conversion had put Bristol into a one-point lead with eight minutes remaining, Sam Underhill's try four minutes later proved decisive at Brewery Field.  

Photo of the match:

ON HAND: Tusi Pisi looks for the offload during an error-strewn first half at Brewery Field (Photo: JMP UK). 

Man of the match: Jack Wallace

In a game and performance of few positives, the full-back was reliable, solid and kicked well out of hand, putting the visitors into some good positions and mopping up at the back. Came close to scoring midway through the first half after sharp break from Mathewson. 

Social media post of the day:

The teams:

Bristol Rugby: Jack Wallace (Palamo 64); David Lemi (Jack Tovey 56), Will Hurrell, Tusi Pisi, Tom Varndell; Billy Searle, Alby Mathewson (Williams 67); Jack O'Connell (Ford-Robinson 54), Max Crumpton (Jones 54), Gaston Cortes (Hall 40), Dan Tuohy (Nemsadze 67), Ben Glynn (Sorenson 56), Nick Fenton-Wells, Jack Lam (c), Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Marc Jones, Jamal Ford-Robinson, James Hall, Mark Sorenson, Giorgi Nemsadze, Rhodri Williams, Thretton Palamo, Jack Tovey

Ospreys: Dafydd Howells (O’Flaherty 40), Jay Baker, Joe Thomas, Jonathan Spratt, Ben John, Luke Price, Rhys Webb (c) (Aubrey 40); Gareth Thomas (Jenkins 45), Scott Otten, Rhodri Jones, James Ratti, Adam Beard, Joe Bearman (Ardron 50), Sam Underhill, Rob McCusker.

Replacements: Ifan Phillips, Rowan Jenkins, Daniel Suter, Tyler Ardron, Will Jones, Matthew Aubrey, Phil Jones, Tom O’Flaherty.