Banner image

REPORT: Oxford University 26-38 Bristol United

Bristol United recorded an entertaining 38-26 victory over Oxford University on Monday evening.

The visitors scored six tries at Iffley Road as George Watkins, Andy Uren, Curtis Mathews and Nick Carpenter (2) all crossed, while Bristol added a penalty try.

Bristol United could have gone in front when the excellent George Watkins broke clear downfield, but the winger’s offload couldn’t find the intended target.

Instead, the men in red were made to wait until midway through the first half when the pack won a penalty try courtesy of a strong five metre scrum.

Bristol doubled their advantage shortly after when Auguy Slowik burst through before putting George Watkins in under the posts for a converted score.

Andy Uren’s close range effort – converted by Callum Sheedy - on the stroke of half time put the visitors in full control at the interval, leading 0-21.

United began the second half in similar fashion, crossing for a fourth try inside sixty seconds when Nick Carpenter collected Darren Hudson’s inside pass to canter over.

And the skipper added another just before the hour mark, waltzing between two defenders to dab down, while Andy Uren added the simple conversion.

After losing George Watkins to a head injury, the home side posted a try of their own. It was James Faktor who got on the scoresheet from five metres after a driving maul, reducing the deficit to 7-33.

Enjoying a spell in the ascendancy, Oxford’s Henry Lamont showed blistering pace to round the final defender and touch down for a fine solo try.

But Bristol hit back through Curtis Mathews, who beat two defenders in a foot race to pounce on a kick ahead and touch down.

The procession of points continued in the closing stages as Fergus Taylor burrowed over for Oxford’s third try of the second half, converted ably by Hughes into the wind.

And the home side had the final say of the game, scoring through Henry Hughes for a last-gasp consolation.

Oxford University:

Andrew Abraham; Tom Stileman, Matt Janney, Henry Lamont, Henry Hughes; George Cullen, Henry De Berker; Kieran Ball, Richard Halpin, Ian Williams, Fergus Taylor, Graeme MacGilchrist, James Faktor, Nicholas Roberts-Huntley, Fraser Heathcote.

Replacements: William Thornton, James Scafe, Hugo Lu, George Messam, Jacob Goss, Guy Fairburn, Matt Geiger, Ed David.

Bristol United:

Auguy Slowik; George Watkins, Lucas Slowik, Nick Carpenter (c), Elias Caven; Callum Sheedy, Andy Uren; Kyle Traynor, James Stephenson, James Hall, Tom Ellis (Bath), Sam Jeffries (Bristol University), Max Cresswell (Bristol University), Max Crumpton, Jack Davies (Bath University).

Replacements from: Ben Gompels (Bristol University), Tom Beck (Cardiff Met University), Joel Ringer (Merthyr RFC), Taylor Buller (Bridgwater RFC), Oliver Dunn (Bridgwater RFC), James Newey (Christ College Brecon and Bristol Academy U18), Darren Hudson, Curtis Mathews.