Banner image

Report: Yorkshire Carnegie 13-26 Bristol Rugby

Bristol Rugby made it back-to-back wins in the Greene King IPA Championship, overcoming Yorkshire Carnegie 26-13 on Sunday.

Auguy Slowik bagged a brace for the visitors, while Matthew Morgan struck sixteen points with the boot in a scrappy affair at Headingley.

The hosts could have gone in front when Liam Edwards was held up over the line following Ryan Burrows’ sharp counter-attack.

And Yorkshire Carnegie did take the lead soon after as Glyn Hughes landed a simple penalty goal to break the deadlock.

Andy Short went close when the winger almost latched onto a crossfield kick, before Morgan’s well-struck three-pointer drew the two sides level at 3-3.

The Welsh international converted a second penalty goal to edge Bristol in front, but Carnegie crossed for the first try of the game minutes later.

Oli Goss found space down the outside channel to skip through several tackles and fly over, while Hughes added the extras.

Bristol responded in immediate fashion when Ben Mosses’ superb crossfield kick found Auguy Slowik unmarked for the full back to race over for a converted score.

Glyn Hughes leveled proceedings once more with a penalty goal, moving the score to 13-13. The Yorkshire fly half had a chance to put his side ahead, only to skew another penalty attempt wide of the target.

On the stroke of half-time, Matthew Morgan’s third penalty goal of the first period edged Bristol 16-13 ahead.

Andy Robinson’s men began the second half in style, extending their advantage to ten points as Auguy Slowik notched a second of the afternoon.

After Jack Tovey had punctured a hole in the Carnegie defence, the full back was on hand to cross the whitewash for a converted try.

In a second period punctuated by collapsed scrums and stoppages, Ryan Burrows almost rumbled over for the home side late on, but Bristol - who added a late penalty goal through Morgan - held firm to record a valuable away win.

Yorkshire Carnegie:

David Mcllwaine; Oli Goss, Jon Clarke, Pete Lucock, Lewis Jones; Glyn Hughes, Chris Pilgrim; Ben Harris, Joe Graham, James Tideswell, Jack Ramshaw, Liam Edwards, Chris Jones, Chris Walker, Ryan Burrows (c).

Replacements: Phil Nilsen (for Joe Graham, 47 mins), Lee Imiolek (for Ben Harris, 59 mins), Ben Hooper (for James Tideswell, 56 mins), Nathan Hannay (for Jack Ramshaw, 52 mins), Jack Barnard (for Liam Edwards, 73 mins), Matt Dudman, Harry Leonard (for Lewis Jones, 40 mins).

Bristol Rugby:

Auguy Slowik; Andy Short, Jack Tovey, Ben Mosses, David Lemi; Matthew Morgan, Dwayne Peel (c); Jack O’Connell, Max Crumpton, Anthony Perenise, Ian Evans, Mark Sorenson, Marco Mama, Jack Lam, Mitch Eadie.

Replacements: Ross Johnston (for Max Crumpton, 44 mins), James Hall (for Jack O’Connell, 61 mins), Ben Glynn (for Mark Sorenson, 70 mins), Ross Rennie, Craig Hampson (for Dwayne Peel, 78 mins), Adrian Jarvis, Gareth Maule (for Jack Tovey, 55 mins).

Referee: Greg Mcdonald
Attendance: 2,022